If you’ve narrowed your search to fishing boats, however, you’ll notice that there are many different types to choose from. Which would be the most ideal fishing vessel in Canada? What are the most important criteria to keep in mind?
Before we dig into these questions, let’s take a brief look at the different options available, and the basic steps to follow when buying a fishing boat.
- Do your research—explore the different types of fishing boats available.
- Determine how and where you plan to use your fishing boat.
- Narrow down your list of potentials, weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each type.
- Consider features you'll need: number of rod holders, baitwells, outriggers, tackle boxes, casting deck, etc.
- Decide on the right fishing boat for your lifestyle, and close the deal.
As you do your search for the perfect fishing boat, always remember that in truth there’s no such thing. There are always trade-offs to be made—you can’t place a downrigger mount where there’s a flush gunwale holder, and you can’t integrate tackleboxes into a leaning post of limited size if you decide there needs to be a big live well in that spot. All you can do is search among the many options to try to find the fishing boat that’s ideal for you, personally and your family.