The history of orthodontics spans over centuries and is full of interesting stories. In the beginning, orthodontists used metal braces to correct dental problems in patients. However, as technology advanced, the use of metal braces became obsolete and other methods were developed, such as using clear braces. For more details about Orthodontics, you can visit – https://www.dramyortho.com/adult-treatment/.
Over time, orthodontists began to specialize in certain areas of dentistry, such as pediatric orthodontics or orthognathic surgery. Today, orthodontics is a field that is full of innovation and change, and there is no limit to what can be accomplished with the help of an orthodontist.
Orthodontics, the science and art of straightening and aligning teeth, has a long and storied history. Here are five facts about orthodontics that you may not have known.
1. The first orthodontist was Dr. John Lewis in 1796. He used a metal frame to help correct crooked teeth.
2. In the early 1900s, orthodontists began using wires and brackets to help correct teeth.
3. In 1944, Dr. Harold Weltman developed the first modern orthodontic treatment plan. His approach used braces and clear plastic shields to correct teeth before they erupted into problems such as tooth decay or gum disease.
4. Orthodontics has become an essential part of dental care for children and adults alike. Today, orthodontists treat approximately one million patients each year in the United States alone!
5. Orthodontics is an evolving science that continues to make significant advances in the treatment of teeth and jaws, always striving to provide the best possible care for patients.